Re: Tracking resolution of DISCUSSes

2007-01-11 22:31:54

On Monday, January 08, 2007 11:03:00 AM +0000 Adrian Farrel <adrian(_at_)olddog(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> wrote:

If we don't do this then they simply are not DISCUSSes. They are just
post-it notes.

Not true. Remember that DISCUSS is a ballot position. As I understand it from my conversation with an IESG member several years ago, its meaning is "I think there is an issue the IESG needs to discuss". As Spencer described, in many cases the resulting discussion satisfies the concerns of that IESG member, and the ballot position is changed to something else. Sometimes that happens prior to the telechat - if the issue is "I don't think we can paint the walls bright black", the sponsoring AD may reply out of band and say "yes, but the document says to paint them bright _blue_", and the issue is resolved even before the telechat.

So, in many cases the WG does not need to be involved in such a discussion.
Copying the WG on every such note would only generate confusion and invite people to start arguing in situations where doing so is premature and wasteful.

That said, I _do_ wish the tracker would maintain history of DISCUSS and COMMENT comments, instead of only showing the latest ballot text.

-- Jeff