RE: Referencing BCPs [Re: ion-procdocs open for public comment]

2007-01-31 09:18:06
Dave,

        Interestingly enough, your observation provides the
strongest argument I've yet seen for assigning a standard
number to any RFC that has becomes a Proposed Standard.

--
Eric

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Crocker [mailto:dhc2(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net]
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 11:12 AM
To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Referencing BCPs [Re: ion-procdocs open for
public comment]

Ned Freed wrote:
informational citation, but IMO normative references may
have version
dependencies that need to be taken into account.

I think that is absolutely correct for technical specs. In the
specific case
of the IPR process documents, which Spencer raised, it may
well be that
the correct citation should be the latest version.

Indeed, using the BCP or STD number is really a way of
providing an automated
mechanism for resolving the citation "The latest version of ...".

That is even useful for technical specs, but only sometimes.

d/
--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking