Re: Referencing BCPs [Re: ion-procdocs open for public comment]

2007-01-31 09:14:26
Ned Freed wrote:
> informational citation, but IMO normative references may have version
> dependencies that need to be taken into account.

I think that is absolutely correct for technical specs. In the specific case
of the IPR process documents, which Spencer raised, it may well be that
the correct citation should be the latest version.

Indeed, using the BCP or STD number is really a way of providing an automated mechanism for resolving the citation "The latest version of ...".

That is even useful for technical specs, but only sometimes.

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking