Re: [PCN] Re: WG Review: Congestion and Pre-CongestionNotification(pcn)

2007-02-20 05:56:49
FWIW, Fred's retelling of the trail of tears for ICMP Source Quench (as the concept moved from "please do this" to "please don't do this") is also useful, but

From a "building a service" perspective, an optional communication is one I can't rely on receiving, which means that I also have to have some other solution to the problem, which may in turn be adequate in the absence of the optional service.

is, I think, his most important point.

This was the most critical comment when we were looking at advisory notifications in TRIGTRAN (also trying to "help" with congestion avoidance, but if you can't count on receiving the notifications, you're most likely to fail when there's congestion, and that's exactly the time you need to be most likely to succeed).

Thanks,

Spencer