Re: WG Review: Congestion and Pre-Congestion Notification (pcn)

2007-02-19 06:20:28
On Tue, 13 Feb 2007, IESG Secretary wrote:
[logical components being:] encoding and transport along forward path from marker to egress, metering of congestion information at the egress, and transport of congestion information back to the controlling ingress.

I'd like to see it explicitly stated that transporting congestion information in the (metered) IP packets themselves is out of scope. This should exclude designs such as adding IP options en-route, defining new extension headers, or modifying the packets in any, currently undefined way. (I say this explicitly because based on a very quick look at the mailing list archives I saw discussion relating to IP header encoding and it unnerved me.)

Reaction mechanisms at the boundary consist of flow admission and flow termination.

In order to do flow admission, you'll first need to recognize a flow. How do you recognize at the borders (or in the core) which kind of flows should be considered to be treated as PCN? The mechanisms for accomplishing this in an operationally feasible way don't seem to be discussed in the charter.

This may be easy if all the traffic you're interested of is using a few predetermined (and configured) protocols and port numbers, but I suspect that is not the case, and layer 7 packet inspection is not an option either..