Re: Last Call: draft-klensin-norm-ref (Handling Normative References for Standards Track Documents) to BCP

2007-02-23 12:19:06
I have no problem with the underlying idea, in so far as I understand it, but I
do not agree that this I-D is the best way to achieve it.

I think that my problem is well illustrated by a sentence in the Abstract
' This document replaces the "hold on
   normative reference" rule will be replaced by a "note downward
   normative reference and move on" approach. '
As may be apparent, this brief - three pages plus boilerplate - I-D, aimed at
BCP status, only partly updates or replaces BCP97 (also three pages plus
boilerplate) so we will in future have to conflate two documents to understand
what is on offer.

How much simpler it would be for all wishing to use this process if we had just
one coherent document, perhaps as long as four pages, covering the whole
procedure, perhaps highlighting (for the benefit of those who in future remember
that things were once different) what was original BCP97 and what revised
BCP97.

Tom Petch

----- Original Message -----
From: "The IESG" <iesg-secretary(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
To: "IETF-Announce" <ietf-announce(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Friday, February 16, 2007 5:02 PM
Subject: Last Call: draft-klensin-norm-ref (Handling Normative References for
Standards Track Documents) to BCP

The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider
the following document:

- 'Handling Normative References for Standards Track Documents '
   <draft-klensin-norm-ref-03.txt> as a BCP

final comments on this action.  Please send substantive comments to the
ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org mailing lists by 2007-03-16. Exceptionally,
comments may be sent to iesg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org instead. In either case,
please
retain the beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

The file can be obtained via
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-klensin-norm-ref-03.txt

IESG discussion can be tracked via

https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi?command=view_id&dTag=14549&rf