Re: References to prior work (was: Re: Last call comments about draft-housley-tls-authz-extns-07)

2007-03-05 11:29:54
On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 12:39:35 -0500
John C Klensin <john-ietf(_at_)jck(_dot_)com> wrote:

How does adding a downref to a dead document add more
integrity to the RFC process?

Independent of the merits in this particular case, it provides
history and context.   We have learned, or should have learned,
two things over and over again:

      (1) Failure to provide context and a track through
      rejected and alternative suggestions results in "new"
      proposals to try the same things again, usually from
      people who had no idea about the prior work.

      (2) Providing good documentation that recognizes the
      origins of an idea and its date, even if there were some
      changes from the original version, can be very helpful
      in defending our work against patent vultures who try to
      make filings on work that the IETF has had under
      development for some time.  Personally, I've reached the
      point that I would favor having most protocol
      specification RFCs contain a sentence of the form of
      "The work described here derives from a series of
      earlier drafts, including [ref, ref, ref] the first of
      which was circulated in 1968."

In addition, in the general case, it can be argued that
referencing prior work, even "dead drafts" is _required_ by the
obligation to recognize and acknowledge the involvement of
contributors of either ideas or text.

Strong second.