Re: Prague

2007-03-08 06:17:48
michael(_dot_)dillon(_at_)bt(_dot_)com wrote:
In the former Soviet bloc countries, the train network was
well-developed. From personal experience in Russia and Ukraine, I
would suggest that you check out train schedules first and only
consider car rental if it doesn't work out for you.
http://www.myczechrepublic.com/prague/trains_buses.html

Wikitravel seems to agree about trains to Konopiste - there is hourly
service to Prague http://wikitravel.org/en/Konopiste

Yes, the train service is quite good in the Czech Republic.  My parents
lived there for a year and traveled over much of the country and only
had a rented car for about 3 weeks of cumulative time (4 days of that
was when I visited).

The factoid they laid on me was that the Czech Republic has the most
miles of train rails per capita in the world.  I won't make the claim
that this factoid is really true, but I certainly would not be surprised.

Oh, and while I'm writing...if you do get a car to drive out in the
surrounding country, you might want to be aware of the practice that I
call "passing down the middle".  This was...exciting...the first time I
experienced.  When overtaking a car, its frequently done with oncoming
traffic.  The overtaking car straddles the middle line, and both the car
being overtaken and any oncoming traffic slide off to the side (most
significant roads have large shoulders) to give room for the overtaking car.

At least outside of Prague (I didn't drive in Prague so don't have
direct experience in the city) use your turn signals a lot!  It was
typical for drivers to use a right turn signal to enter a roundabout, a
left turn signal as they go around the roundabout, and another right
turn signal to exit the roundabout!  (just an example)
--
Jeff McAdams
little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."