Re: Prague

2007-03-08 06:39:54
Stephan,

Thanks.  Just what I needed.  Comments in line.

Stephan Wenger <stewe(_at_)stewe(_dot_)org> wrote on 03/08/2007 03:26:32 AM:

Hi janet, all,
Renting a car at the airport, and from an international rental car
company, is straightforward.  More expensive than in the US,
though.  I cannot advise the budget deals you may get from local
companies or individuals.  Also keep in mind:

a) cars of a given rental car class are smaller than in the US---
much smaller---so go for full size minimum if you are 2+ people
withsuitcases.

I'll just be one person, without suitcases.

My idea of a "small car" is the one I drove in college- a 500cc 2-stroke
Berkeley, which seated two as long as neither of you were overweight. My
most usual request at a US car rental counter is "don't you have anything
smaller?"

b) Stickshifts are still very common, especially for the smaller car
classes.  Make sure to rent an automatic, if you think you need it

No thanks.  I MUCH PREFER a manual transmission, and drive one every day
(Nissan Sentra).

c) the Hilton is just outside the inner city and has ample hotel
parking, so keeping the car there is not an issue.  Forget about
using the car in the inner city---no spots.  But then, the inner
city is extended walking distance.

Yes- my only intention was to use a rental car for one or two "day trips"
outside the city.
I'd use public transport if convenient- the guide book says "bus from
Florenc in Prague"- but I have no idea if that is two busses a day (not
convenient) or every hour (fine), nor how far the museum is from the bus
stop.  I have emailed the museum director, and got a response which
indicated that
-the email worked
-he read and wrote English
- he would get back to me with more detail later.

But "later" hasn't happened yet.  I need to "ping" him again.

d) Driving in town is similar as in most other European major
cities---US folks would consider it somewhat aggressive.  But it's
quite survivable.  Once you leave the immediate vicinity of Prague,
people drive fast, but safely, and there's not too much traffic.

I have driven in Western Europe- most recently my husband and I drove
around north western France immediately before the Paris meeting.  Is it
similar.

e) Buy all insurance you can---saves hassle and discussion time in
case you have a fender bender.

Thanks.  That I would not have thought of.

And with respect to the horror stories re taxis:
I have had perhaps 10 taxi rides in the Prague vicinity over the
last four years.  In this, I had one incident where I driver
attempted to grossly overcharge me.  I was alone in the cab, but it
had stopped at my destination, so I simply opened the door, put one
foot out, and threatened to walk away.  The reaction of the driver
was to come down with the price, fast.  I'm not a body builder or
anything.  This stands in contrast to an experience I had in NYC in
the late 1980s, where I stupidly boarded a grey cab, and found
myself and hour later in New Jersey, with no money and credit cards
whatsoever, and the first-time-in-life experience of a gun near my
head...  So much about common sense when hiring cabs.

My only experience with a gun near my head was in a parking garage on
Capitol Hill in Washington DC, in the block between the House Office
Building 2 and the Police Station.  But I got away with only giving him my
money.  I held onto my credit cards and, more importantly, my green card (
I carry a UK passport, though I have lived in the US since '59).

Finally, with respect to meeting venues.  I think there's value in
distinguishing Canada and the US.  Meetings in Canada are typically
a pleasant experience; decent folks at immigration, reasonable
lines, reasonable hotel rates and restaurant prices, decent cabbies,
...  I can't say all that for US meetings.  And I carry a German
passport.  Colleagues of mine, who are very good technologists and
would be an asset for IETF face to face discussions are not even
considering attending US IETF meetings, because they are at the
disadvantage of being born in a predominantly muslim country...  So
that would be a factor to consider as well.

In the late 50s (Suez crisis) we lived in Canada,  but crossed into the US
quite frequently.  My father very often got "special attention" (as in
"Please park the car and come into the office") because his British
passport showed that he was born in Cairo, Egypt. (HIS father was an
Egyptologist.)

Thanks,

Janet

Regards,