Re: Prague

2007-03-08 01:13:44
Hi Fred,

I would like to see the IETF meet where IETF participants live. Over
time, I would expect that to include quite a few places.

Agreed.

When will the IETF meet in Dubai? well, riddle me this. How many IETF
participants do we have that live in Dubai?
My stats [1] do not find any RFC or draft authors from United
Arab Emirates. We might have other participants though. But
as Joel noted, the continent/area may matter more than the
specific city or country. For instance, out of recent thousand
or so RFCs [2],

# 753 RFCs (78.52%) have authors from Usa.
# 398 RFCs (41.50%) have authors from European union.
# 66 RFCs (6.88%) have authors from Canada.
# 49 RFCs (5.11%) have authors from Japan.
# 20 RFCs (2.09%) have authors from Israel.
# 19 RFCs (1.98%) have authors from Australia.
# 16 RFCs (1.67%) have authors from South korea.
# 16 RFCs (1.67%) have authors from India.
# 15 RFCs (1.56%) have authors from Norway.
# 13 RFCs (1.36%) have authors from Switzerland.
# 3 RFCs (0.31%) have authors from Singapore.
# 3 RFCs (0.31%) have authors from Russia.
# 3 RFCs (0.31%) have authors from New zealand.
# 2 RFCs (0.21%) have authors from China.
# 1 RFCs (0.10%) have authors from Chile.
# 1 RFCs (0.10%) have authors from Thailand.
# 1 RFCs (0.10%) have authors from Taiwan.

Which should give you some idea of what the distribution of
meeting locations should be. Of course, you'll get different
numbers depending on what you measure, e.g., mere author
numbers are quite different [3], or if you look at drafts [4]
you'll see that China is a lot more visible than in the above
list; there are 63 drafts with Chinese authors and 73 such
authors. And I'm sure Ray has a breakdown of meeting participants
somewhere, though that tends to be affected significantly by
where we hold the meeting.

Interestingly, if you look at the top ten countries [5] there
are four countries that the IETF has not been during the
ten years that I have been involved. Not that we need to
go everywhere, just a data point -- I know for instance that
in my country the IETF would have problem finding big
enough hotel near the conference facilities.

Jari

[1] http://www.arkko.com/tools/authorstats.html
[2] http://www.arkko.com/tools/recrfcstats/d-countryeudistr.html
[3] http://www.arkko.com/tools/recrfcstats/countryeudistr.html