Re: Prague

2007-03-09 20:07:19
Hello!

I will attest to Prague being survivable.  I have been there once
already and suffered no ill effects and was not robbed.  I.e., don't
panic.

I live in Prague for about 30 years and it's generally a very safe city.
Most streets are completely safe even during night. There are only two
things you should be careful about:

  (1) the taxicab drivers -- not all of them are honest and if they smell
      a chance, they are likely to ask for several times more than they
      have right to. However, taxis arranged by airport desks or hotel
      receptions are safe and there is also a company providing taxi
      at a phone call for reasonable prices. Also, the public transport
      in Prague works very well and once you are in the city center,
      everything is within a couple of footsteps.

  (2) the pickpockets -- during the tourist seasons, it's advisable to
      watch your wallet, especially in crowded streets and full trams,
      but that's probably the same in every large city.

                                Have a nice fortnight
--
Martin `MJ' Mares                          <mj(_at_)ucw(_dot_)cz>
http://mj.ucw.cz/