Re: Prague

2007-03-08 02:31:00
Agree with you Jari! I went to OMA meetings for about a year and every month I packed up and went to a different corner of the world, including La Jolla, some 5 miles from my house ;) (I didn't pack up for that trip!).

I didn't even have the time to look up whether a particular city was this or that. There were cities where I didn't leave the hotel and there were cities where I spent a good amount of time as a tourist. Each location was chosen based on some selection criteria (and we went through the exercise of selection criteria not too long in the IETF) or because one of the member companies has an office in the city.

We went to Helsinki too and met in a small basement ;) . I don't mind going back there (not to the basement, but to Finland).

I think it was in Sydney, the immigration officer asked for my business card (I happened to have some in my bag; OMA needs them). Now if that happened to 10 IETF attendees, I can't imagine the traffic on this list! A whole continent might be blacklisted!

Now why the rant about OMA (or fill some other standards development organization there)? Turns out they are all engineers too and by many assessments at the IETF, not really good ones even. If they can go places, we should be able to as well!

Hope the IETF meets in India in the near future! All our cities have the issues: pickpockets, taxi drivers, traffic dangers, murder rate in the bad neighborhoods, heat, cold, or boredom. Scratch the last one! There is no boredom when everything is an adventure, and India will be an adventure for the IETF crowd!

cheers,
Lakshminath

Jari Arkko wrote:

Right.

Everyone: the IETF is an international organization with participants
around the globe. It is natural that we go to different places. Sometimes
you have to go far, sometimes close. I think we should expect ourselves
to be able to travel to different parts of the developed world, including
places like major cities in EU, North America, or Asia. All of them will
be slightly different, so its good to get some advise about the local
conditions beforehand. But there will be some issues everywhere, be
it pickpockets, taxi drivers, traffic dangers, murder rate in the bad
neighborhoods, heat, cold, or boredom. Get over it. I think we should
boldly go where no IETF has gone before (but millions of other people
have, safely).

Jari