Re: IETF 70 and 73 Venue Announcement

2007-03-09 13:24:53
John, Ray,

For
example, while I would not have expected the Secretariat to
round up a Ducks or equivalent vehicles to ferry people across
unexpected lakes and rivers (formerly believed to be roads) in
Dallas,

:-)

I would expect you to consider IETF-specific
arrangements for airport <-> hotel transport when that seems
justified by circumstances and can be predicted in advance.

And, yes, indeed -- someone has to play the curmudgeon
role around here :-)

I too would be interested in seeing information in the IETF meeting
page about, say, hotel's transportation service when it exists and
can be recommended. Or a warning about unreliable taxis. John's
list of things to consider when setting up the  meetings was also
great.

However, I wanted to play the role of the guy who reminds us
of the IETF's mission. We're in the Internet technology business...
other people are in transport etc. businesses. For instance, one
would expect that the IETF goes to major cities with nearby
major airports. These places tend to have multiple working
forms of transportation, and a demonstrated ability of millions
of people to get through the system... as Laksminath noted, even
the OMA engineers can figure this out :-) Not sure we really NEED
a lot of help from Ray to get from the airport to the hotel, except
occasional recommendation of what transport to use. And I have
heard that that thing which starts with an "I" can be used to find
information.

Generalizing this a bit, lets not constrain ourselves too much
by setting too high requirements on what the IETF
meeting sites and organization must fulfill. I think we
could survive location-wise in any of the big cities in
the industrial world, assuming hotel etc. availability.
Visa and travel cost situations differ, but for that I
think it better to go around a little bit to spread the pain.

And I think Ray is already treating us too well in
the meetings :-)

Jari