RE: Prague

2007-03-07 10:36:13
Hi,

I travelled to Prague after the Vienna IETF in 2003.
It's a city; you need to take city precautions.

There are signs of poverty, mostly outside the city center. I was
surprised when I arrived (by train) by people aggressively trying to
rent me a room in their house, and by taxi drivers who grab your bag
and try to lead you to their taxi. Things might have changed by now,
or not.

I accepted a room in a private home from a person at the airport, 45
minutes by train outside of Prague, where people are striving to make
enough to join the middle class. My landlord was a doctor, who found
it more profitable to rent rooms in his house than practice medicine.
Most IETFers will be better off financially, and will show it, so we
become obvious targets.

In three weeks of travelling through the Czech Republic and Slovakia,
with no reservations and usually renting a room (a zimmer) in private
houses, I met many wonderful people and never had a problem. I
travelled alone at night usually. I was probably lucky, since I did
not take many precautions that are simply common sense.

Prague is a wonderful tourist spot with good food, good bier, quality
shopping, lots of culture, and many interesting things to see. I rate
it as one of my favorite cities in Europe.

So I agree that Prague is very survivable.

David Harrington
dharrington(_at_)huawei(_dot_)com
dbharrington(_at_)comcast(_dot_)net
ietfdbh(_at_)comcast(_dot_)net