Re: NATs as firewalls

2007-03-08 05:18:11
On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 11:22:05AM -0000,
michael(_dot_)dillon(_at_)bt(_dot_)com wrote:

In any case, I don't have any examples to present since most of the
reclamation that has been done over the past few years was done without
any fanfare. The RIRs and the organizations involved are really the only
ones who know the details. Bill Manning was somehow involved in
identifying blocks to be reclaimed so he may be able to provide some
illumination without heat.

--Michael Dillon

        predating the existance of ARIN, LACNIC, and AFRINIC, i worked
        with the permission of the then IANA and our team reclaimed 14%
        of the total IPv4 space and put it back into the freepool. We
        could have done more (estimates of another 6-8% were feasable)
        but we ran out of funds and the IANA ceased being the registry
        of first/last resort.

        Time, processes, administrative thinking, and other factors
        have changed, which lead me to believe that reclaimation - as
        such - will not happen again to any noticable degree.

--bill