Re: NATs as firewalls

2007-03-11 04:55:48
Darryl \(Dassa\) Lynch writes:
Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
There is a major difference between a NAT box plugged into
the real Internet and a NAT box plugged into another NAT
box. It is a pretty ugly one for the residential user.

I'm afraid it is already happening on a large scale in some parts.
Here in Australia I've seen multiple ISP's who NAT all residential
customers.

While I'm not seeing this in the traditional retail (home) ISP market
in my area of Europe, provider-operated NAT is common/prevalent in

* mobile (GPRS/UMTS) Internet access
* public WLANs

Some operators even use the same NAT for both, selling "seamless
roaming" (that doesn't break TCP connections) between WLAN and 3G
service as a feature.
--
Simon.