RE: NATs as firewalls

2007-03-08 04:34:06
Also this appears to be tied to the US business model where the ISP
supplies you with the box and you don't get to change it (or
even own it).
For example in the UK we are already down the path of selling
such a DSL
+ NAT/fireewall + router box (I have one here) but the ISP
just sells me
the DSL connection.

I also have a DSL router/switch which I bought and manage myself and I
would still like to be able to do this in future with IPv6. Either by
buying a non-SOHO gateway or by reflashing a SOHO gateway so that I can
manage it myself.

The idea of an IETF standard for the capabilities of a SOHO IPv6 gateway
does not imply any business model. In fact, it makes it easier to buy
your own box when they all comply to the standard. You can still use the
ISP's management services if there is a standard which defines what they
are and how they function. As for managed versus unmanaged access
connections, that is a bit of a red herring. Today you think that you
have an unmanaged DSL connection but in reality, the ISP has an abuse
desk and internal systems which are necessary to manage network abuse
issues. You are paying for that. If the ISP could automate that work by
having an automated system directly manage your Internet gateway device,
then your service would probably be cheaper.

 I believe it would contravene the regulatory
rules if you
forced to buy the ISP's box.

As it should. An IETF standard will remove a barrier to buying your own
gateway device because they will all be compatible.

--Michael Dillon