Re: NATs as firewalls

2007-03-14 19:05:34
On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 04:31:40PM -0800, David Morris wrote:

So I got curious and checked the 'current' list. Looks to me like the
question revolving around MIT is small potatoes compared with some
other organizations ... HP now owns two /8 blocks ... their own and DECs.

        HP is down a total of four /8's from the early days.
        Including the /8 they picked up from DEC.

A bunch of IANA reserved ... which seem likely to be available.

        One would expect the IANA reserved blocks (that are actually
        useful) will be handed to the RIRs as per current policy.

I'd bet more than 3/4ths of the space allocated to specific organizations
as /8s could be recovered. If that needs to happen, the sooner the current
owners of those blocks start planning, the easier it will be.

        been there, done that.  times and circumstances change and
        recovery these days is likely an exercise is futility.

        the -LARGEST- assumption that most folks make is that if they
        can't see a prefix in their tiny, constrained view of the Internet's
        routing system (e.g. a subset of the commodity users of IP) that
        said prefix is fair game for recovery - to be re-assigned to folks
        that they can see through their routing porthole.  That assumption
        has always proven false ...

Those who speculated that MIT had a fundraising opportunity neglected
to comment on the competition.

Dave Morris