Re: NATs as firewalls

2007-03-15 04:19:31
michael(_dot_)dillon(_at_)bt(_dot_)com wrote:
Can you show me real examples of an RIR repossessing address space? If so, what is stopping them from reclaiming some of those /8s?

ARIN regularly repossesses address space according to their treasurer.
http://lists.arin.net/pipermail/ppml/2007-March/006129.html
This fact is well known to those who regularly attend ARIN meetings and
hear the reports on ARIN activities.

I think there is a difference between repossession and surrender. Yes, ARIN has policies on the books that nominally cover this case, but quite frankly they can't enforce those policies because they are not the SP who is taking money from a customer. And so a market can and does exist for IPv4 address space, albeit not in the open. I say this having acquired a company in which we viewed their space as an asset, and promptly appropriated it for other uses.

Eliot