Re: Withdrawal of Approval and Second Last Call: draft-housley-tls-authz-extns

2007-04-11 02:40:04
Just one comment:

Brian E Carpenter writes:
On 2007-04-11 10:08, Simon Josefsson wrote:
What typically happens in practice, among good-faith practitioners, is that there won't be any GPL (or Apache, or Mozilla, or ...) implementation of the patented technology at all, because the necessary rights cannot be acquired.

Doesn't that sound like a bug in the OSS licenses to you, assuming the desired result is to make the Internet work better?

In this kind of situation, what would _you_ choose?

[ ] Apply for an IPR license/sign an NDA/do other paperwork
[ ] Violate someone's something
[ ] Go do something else

My choice tends to be the last, because my goal is generally not to implement some specific technology, it is to increase people's happiness and productivity. I can do that by implementing whatever Mark has patented. Or in any of ten thousand other ways. See?

Arnt