Re: Withdrawal of Approval and Second Last Call: draft-housley-tls-authz-extns

2007-04-11 07:00:57
Hello;

On Apr 11, 2007, at 9:33 AM, kent(_at_)songbird(_dot_)com wrote:

On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 01:54:53PM +0200, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
Ted,

Well, if IPR owners don't actually care, why are they asking people to
send a postcard?  It would seem to be an unnecessary administrative
burden for the IPR owners, yes?

My assumption is that they care if the party that fails to send
a postcard is one of their competitors. That's what the defensive
clauses in these licenses are all about, afaics.

I'm not sure I understand the "Upon request...will provide" clause.
Actually, I'm sure I don't understand it...

Does it in any significantly enforcable way *require* RedPhone Security to do anything? If so, then all the competitor has to do is send a postcard, so the
defensive value is effectively zero -- anyone who is a significant
competitor can certainly afford a postcard.

If, on the other hand, it imposes no real requirements on RedPhone Security,
what does it do?  Why is it there?

I always figured that these things were poison pills - if company A sues company B about a password infringement, company B will counter sue, and, for company A, yank any applicable RAND license, and look to see if A did things like send in the postcard. (Or, if A was diligent about sending them in, it
provides a handy list of the patents for B to hassle them about.)

It might also be useful for performance evaluations, to see how many people are using your patents.

Regards
Marshall