Re: Withdrawal of Approval and Second Last Call: draft-housley-tls-authz-extns

2007-04-11 21:55:20
On Wed, 11 Apr 2007, Theodore Tso wrote:
Unlike some OSS advocates, I don't feel a particular need to to require a patent license which is valid for any field of endeavor; just the essential claims necessary to implement an IETF standard is IMHO sufficient (realistically I doubt many IPR holders would be willing grant more than that). [...]

FWIW, many declarations (taking the one shown by Joel as an example), permission is granted to "technically necessary to implement the IETF standard spesification.." and similar has been seen in other declarations (possibly in the form, '.. to interoperate with XXX standard specification').

Does that allow you to implement everything in the specification if 'everything' is not 'technically necessary to implement' [for interoperability or otherwise]? MAYs? SHOULDs?