RE: Withdrawal of Approval and Second Last Call: draft-housley-tls-authz-extns

2007-04-27 10:54:17
Dear all, dear Mr. Brown:

Mark Brown wrote:

In my mind, a scenario that
violates the GUL would be where person X contributes (checks into source
control), and a GUL licensee accepts the contribution, and that licensee
functionally tests and approves the PAS Functions (thereby confirming that
the contribution performs the PAS Functions described in the GUL), and then
that licensee releases the PAS Functions as a stable / blessed build.  That
seems to me to be a "three strikes and you're out" GUL violation.

At one point one should ask what is the invention at stake. How does the PAS functions relate to the claims in the patent application?

OK, the ietf does not make evaluation of IP claims *validity*, but the first question from a source code maintainer (your GUL licensee above) is are we infringing something? Thus, look at the claims. Indeed, it needs training to read issued patent and patent applications, but that's the name of the game.

I don't see a logical relation between PAS functions and the patent application claims (it doesn't mean there isn't one). The ietf IPR disclosure 833 seems to be trying to force contractual obligations (assisting the enforcement of protected PAS functions) based on an assumed infringement threat which would induce some real/moral person to become a party to the contract (GUL).

I'm always astonished to see ietf discussions about IPR so remote from simple IPR management basics.

I looked at the specifics of the patent application, and "specification as filed" in the provisional application. Assuming the 5 independent claims are valid, I expect the patentholder would have great difficulty in establishing infringement against a source code maintainer organization for software maintenance and distribution activities.

The fact that a source code maintainer organization wishes to protect its user base from IPR uncertainties is perhaps not event a sufficient motivation for agreeing to the GUL contract.

For the record, I was involved in an IPR discussion in an ietf wg about a draft (now expired), in the position of the inventor/entrepreneur/ietf contributor. From the wg feedback, I heard three messages:
1) we need interoperability,
2) don't monetize the DNS (the draft was in the DNS area),
3) an ideologic position against patents.

In this process, I refined my opinion about ietf wg procedures, but that's a different issue.

Also, the dynamics of a wg being based on voluntary participation, little seems possible to overcome a wg reluctance to follow the provisions of section 8 in RFC3979. The IPR disclosure 833 gets broader attention because it is handled as an ietf-wide issue.

Regards,

--

- Thierry Moreau

CONNOTECH Experts-conseils inc.
9130 Place de Montgolfier
Montreal, Qc
Canada   H2M 2A1

Tel.: (514)385-5691
Fax:  (514)385-5900

web site: http://www.connotech.com
e-mail: thierry(_dot_)moreau(_at_)connotech(_dot_)com