RE: Withdrawal of Approval and Second Last Call: draft-housley-tls-authz-extns

2007-04-11 11:35:06

Ted, jumping ahead a little bit, how much of your concern would
be eliminated if that entry in the template said "Royalty Free
and RAND" (or "RAND and Royalty Free"), rather than just RF?  I
agree that "RF and totally unreasonable" is a possible case, but
am trying to understand whether we have a disconnect about the
language we have used or about some general and important
principle?

A useful convention that's being used more and more is the term RANDz,
which means "RAND without monetary compensation".  This captures
both the monetary aspect as well as the reasonableness of other terms.

Of course, to avoid any uncertainty, it would be helpful to define RANDz
somewhere in the IETF policy documents (RFC 3979, etc.).