Re: Use of LWSP in ABNF -- consensus call

2007-05-16 05:32:44
Tony Hansen said:
I share your concerns about removing rules that are already in use --
that would generally be a bad thing.  However I'm interested in the
consensus around whether a warning or a deprecation statement would be a
good thing.

LWSP has a valid meaning and use, and its being misapplied somewhere
doesn't make that meaning and usage invalid. I could see a note being
added. However, anything more than that is totally inappropriate.

+1

Frank's text in
<http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg46048.html>
would be fine:

  Authors intending to use the LWSP (linear white space) construct
  should note that it allows apparently empty lines consisting only
  of trailing white space, semantically different from really empty
  lines.  Some text editors and other tools are known to remove any
  trailing white space silently, and therefore the use of LWSP in
  syntax is not recommended.

However, it doesn't belong in "security considerations".

What about moving LSWP, and this text, to a separate section of Annex B:
"B.3 Deprecated constructs"?

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive(_at_)demon(_dot_)net>   | Tel:    +44 20
8495 6138