Re: Use of LWSP in ABNF -- consensus call

2007-05-16 17:48:05

--On Wednesday, 16 May, 2007 17:21 -0700 Douglas Otis
<dotis(_at_)mail-abuse(_dot_)org> wrote:

Although LWSP has been placed within "core rules", LWSP is
_not_ a rule core to the ABNF definition of ABNF.   LWSP is
_not_ essential.  Deprecating this macro does _not_ impact the
definition of ABNF.  This macro can be deprecated to ensure it
will not promote use of this construct, nor should this macro
be used to supplant other definitions.  The LWSP jersey can be
retired without damaging the definition of ABNF or otherwise
limiting the future use of ABNF.

Doug, if people want to do it, I would have no problems adding a
comment to any construction (including built-in productions) in
ABNF that has proven dangerous warning people that they should
understand it and its consequences before they use it.  I would
have no problems if that note made it clear that use of LWSP in
a context in which it could end up on a line by itself (in a
context in which "lines" are significant) can be particularly
problematic.

I see those options as very different from deprecating something
that is used successfully and correctly in a number of standards
and incorporated into them by reference.   Since it is in use,
and the definition is actually quite clear, deprecating it seems
completely inappropriate.

     john