Re: BOF Process

2007-05-28 08:49:12
From: "Brian E Carpenter" <brian(_dot_)e(_dot_)carpenter(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>

On 2007-05-26 05:35, Bernard Aboba wrote:
In my experience, part of the issue is lack of feedback on what the next steps are.

Pragmatically, I suggest helping to improve draft-narten-successful-bof

Although the BOF process is still a relatively dark corner of the IETF, the ambient lighting has been increasing for a while. I've seen three changes in the past couple of years that are worth mentioning:

- As Brian points out, Thomas Narten's draft-narten-successful-bof is a lot more guidance than the community has had previously on "how to bring new work into the IETF", and this draft also became the basis of a Sunday-afternoon tutorial offered at the last two IETFs.

- As recently as last year, the IAB and IESG were discussing BOFs and BOF coverage on Monday morning of each IETF meeting week. This has switched to a pre-IETF telechat on the BOFs that have been requested, a couple of months prior to the IETF, allowing better preparation and better evaluation now.

- One point of controversy, probably 18 months ago, was whether to announce UNSUCCESSFUL BOF requests. Current practice is to make all BOF requests visible while they are under consideration, at http://www3.tools.ietf.org/bof/trac/wiki. As Bernard points out, feedback on next steps could be improved, but this is much more visible to the community than it's been in the last 10 years (I don't go back further than that).

My understanding was that draft-narten-successful-bof was a first step to describe what the current practice was, before making changes to the process, and anyone who cares about this topic should be familiar with this draft before making suggestions.

I should also remember to thank Leslie and Brian, and the IAB and IESG members who made these changes.

Spencer