Re: consensus and anonymity

2007-05-31 12:36:35
Just following up here...

From: "Lakshminath Dondeti" <ldondeti(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com>

But, I wonder why anonymity is an important requirement. The mailing list verification has at least two properties that are more important to the IETF: the archives provide for anyone to be able to verify the consensus independent of the IETF hierarchy (chairs, ADs and whoever); further the archives provide a means to verify the consistency of any IETF participant, chairs or ADs at any given moment, candidates for WG chair and I* positions, and anyone in general.

We've been telling new WG chairs for several years that

- they really need to have most discussions in public/on mailing lists,

- we recognise that some people aren't comfortable challenging others in public, and

- we recognise that this discomfort may be more common in some cultures than in others.

So, for reasons that both John and Lakshminath identified, we've been asking WG chairs to encourage participants to engage in public discussions, but to be receptive to private requests for assistance on how to carry out those discussions.

The alternative - a WG chair who tells the working group that the apparent WG consensus on the mailing list is being overruled because of anonymous objections that the WG chair cannot share with the WG, or because of private objections that the WG chair is "channeling" from a back room - would make voting seem reasonable (or, to use Mark Allman's characterization in another thread, "seem charming").

Thanks,

Spencer