IANA registration constraints (was: Re: Withdrawing sponsorship...)

2007-06-12 08:27:59

John C Klensin wrote:
 > There may be things that make this particular case special, but, for the
general case, I have gradually come to think that model is broken. The problem is that the IETF cannot _prevent_ someone from making up a parameter and using it, registered or not, nor can we punish someone who does so. So, by preventing registration, we do little but increase the odds that one unregistered and unapproved extension will use the same parameter keywords as another, causing interoperability problems.

+1.

Then again, this is a very general issue with much of the IETF's current
efforts to assert authority over various matters.

Consequently, I believe that many of the <IETF Consensus required> registration requirements should be changed to permit an alternate lower threshold of:

(1) There has been IETF review and discussion, but the IETF did not
conclude that the idea was wise, or even perhaps concluded that it was a
bad idea. Note that this is very different from "not reviewed in the IETF".
>     Of course, the document should, at
> that stage, be very clear that it is not an IETF-approved protocol and
> should ideally explain the reasons why the IETF did not approve it.
> Similarly, the registration should be made in the interest of
> interoperability but both the "IANA Considerations" section of the document
> and the registration itself should clearly indicate that the registration
> is to prevent interoperability problems only and does not imply approval or
> endorsement.

I think the incremental suggestion, here, translates into permitting the IESG to attach a comment to an IANA registration entry, much as it can for an Independent RFC document submission?

I think that's a pretty reasonable idea.

Our pretending that a protocol extension will simply go away because we don't like it --or because we can't agree that we do like it-- does not make the Internet work better.

+1.

d/
--

  Dave Crocker