Re: IANA registration constraints

2007-06-13 07:38:43
Phillip,

My personal view is that we should develop an Internet architecture that
allows an infinite number of new protocols to be deployed without consumption
of scarce resources, i.e. port numbers of DNS RRs.
So in summary, the IAB should be charged with identifying the set of finite
resources that IANA assigns and propose an Internet architecture in which
deployment of new application layer protocols does not cause any of the
finite resources to be depleted.

I'm definitely in favor of improving the situation. And for applications
protocols this is probably an easier problem to begin with. And as
I said in the previous e-mail, as far as I know, most new work uses
field sizes and types that have less scarcity.

However, the Internet runs to a large extent on protocols that were
designed decades ago, and some of those protocols have number
spaces that  are very finite. I don't want to run out of protocol
numbers, DHCP message types, etc.

Jari