Re: Role of IANA in approving assignments

2007-06-18 02:39:51
On 2007-06-17 14:41, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
Robert Elz wrote:
And in this case, this is exactly the point.   IANA is the
INTERNET Assigned Numbers Authority, not the IETF Assigned Numbers
Authority - and the code points it assigns and the registries it
maintains are used by the Internet as a whole, not just that part of
it that participates in the IETF.
In my opinion: No. There's no magic in names.

The IANA is a function carried out by a department of ICANN. It has inherited the name from the work done by Jon Postel since the time when the Internet was small enough that all the users knew each other by name. But there is no magic in the name that makes this department have any more credibility than any other group that performs functions.

We, as the IETF, whose mission it is to "make the Internet work better", need to look at what the function we want to have performed is, and whether the current entity is the best one to perform the function we want performed.

And we did, which is why there is an MoU and an SLA in place between
the IETF and IANA, both of which were open for debate here before
they were concluded.

     Brian

Others have to perform the same evaluation when entrusting their registration functions to this entity.

The name is just a name.

                 Harald