Has anyone looked at the DISCUSS Criteria document lately? (Re: Should I* opinions be afforded a special status? (Re: [saag] Declining the ifare bof for Chicago))

2007-06-26 08:24:11
So, I am curious. Have people looked at http://www.ietf.org/u/ietfchair/discuss-criteria.html (which I BELIEVE is the current form of the DISCUSS Criteria document - this really needs to be an ION, but that's another story)?

Does this look like the kind of "guidance" Randall is talking about?

Thanks,

Spencer

p.s. I tend to agree with many things that have been said in this thread, but want to give credit to recent IESGs who have documented things that weren't actually written down (DISCUSS criteria, many-but-not-all of BOF proposal evaluations, etc.).

From: "Randall Gellens" <randy(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com>

At 7:00 PM -0400 6/22/07, John C Klensin wrote:

 I believe that we should be selecting IESG and IAB members who
 can and will exhibit very high levels of technical maturity and
 breath, and consistent good judgment.   I believe that being
 sufficiently mature and self-aware to avoid either substituting
 one's own judgment for that of the community or imposing one's
 personal preferences as a blocking requirement is a corollary of
 that selection criterion.   If we cannot find enough people like
 that, we should shrink the relevant bodies and, if necessary,
 the amount of work the IETF tries to do, rather than trying to
 get by on third-rate people.

I agree with John here, but I see problems with this in practice. In particular, what to one person is clearly substituting one's own judgement or preference, is to another just showing good judgement. So it is hard to truly select such mature people, because the same person will appear to some as mature and to others as inappropriate.

One thing we can try to do is to have more clear criteria for exercise of discretion. Not in the form of hard rules, but simply as more detailed guidance that we can hopefully update with experience. That makes it easier to determine if someone is abusing discretion.