Re: Updating the rules?

2007-07-13 11:21:14
No one had any concern with the version of TLS that was selected by the working group. However, there were two things that cause me to want a change. I'll let others provide their own point of view.

1) History has shown that TLS implementations do a very good job handling backward compatibility. As a result, there has been a smooth transition from SSL 3.0 to TLS 1.0, and a similarly smooth transition has begun from TLS 1.0 to TLS 1.1. TLS 1.2 is being developed in the TLS WG right now. I expect the transition to TLS 1.2 to be smooth as well.

2) We do not want to update the standards-track Atom RFC to track TLS developments. The language that was put in the document made it easy for an implementor to use a TLS library and let the version negotiation naturally select the highest version supported by the two peers.

Russ