Re: Updating the rules?

2007-07-20 08:16:48
From the draft:
   1.  Rename PS as Preliminary Standard.

I have often confused the order between "Proposed" and "Draft" standard.
[In my view, one needs to "draft" a standard before you can "propose" it,
but in the IETF, you "propose" first, and then "draft" it.]
So I would like to suggest that the name for the standards at each step must clearly indicate
their maturity level and where the standard is on the ladder.

With a two-step process, naming the first step "Proposed", "Preliminary" or "Draft" and the second stage "Full" works well. With a three-stage process, I think we need
better names for the first two stages.

If we stick with the three-stage process, then perhaps the names
        "Preliminary Standard"
        "Intermediate Standard"
        "Full Standard"
might be used.