Re: Updating the rules?

2007-07-13 12:15:19
That is not the way the document arrived to the IESG.  It said:

   The type of authentication deployed is a local decision made by the
   server operator.  Clients are likely to face authentication schemes
   that vary across server deployments.  At a minimum, client and server
   implementations MUST be capable of being configured to use HTTP Basic
   Authentication [RFC2617] in conjunction with a TLS [RFC2246]
   connection as defined in [RFC2818] (but note that [RFC2246] has been
   superseded by [RFC4346]).  See [RFC4346] for more information on TLS.

The normative reference cites TLS 1.0, making it the only version that is permitted.

Russ