Re: The myth of NAT traversal, was: Re: IPv4 to IPv6 transition

2007-07-16 06:50:29
On Mon Jul 16 11:29:54 2007, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
The way I look at the problem we have a gateway issue similar to those that we used to have with smtp in the days of decnet sna etc.

The only difference is that we have both sides of the gateway running IP albeit with different numbering schemes.

If I read this correctly, you're essentially stating that the Internet terminates at the ISP side of the NAT. So hosts located on the "wrong" side of the NAT are simply not part of the Internet - they merely happen to use the same technology.

Is that a correct paraphrase of what you're saying? That does strikes me as a fundamental failing of NATs if so.

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave(_at_)cridland(_dot_)net -
xmpp:dwd(_at_)jabber(_dot_)org