Re: The myth of NAT traversal, was: Re: IPv4 to IPv6 transition

2007-07-16 09:02:53
So terminating the application session at layer 7 and then originating a fresh
one at the point where the numbering scheme changes appears to me to be a
simple and principled approach.

There are two ways I can read this, and I suspect I've got them both wrong.  The
first is the "flag day" meaning for "where the numbering scheme changes"--that
is,
re-deploy all applications on some day at which we decide the numbering scheme
changes.  The second is that you mean that any device which serves as an
intersection point between v4 and v6 must also serve as a back-to-back user
agent for all applications that run across it.

That is, for the scenario

v6-endpoint---[boundary]--v4 segment---[boundary]--v6-endpoint

there would be a full-on termination of the application at each boundary,
and a new application flow, which is itself not guaranteed to reach the original
destination of the flow.

Is either of those what you meant?  If not, can you clarify?

                        thanks,
                                        Ted Hardie