Re: e2e

2007-07-26 20:57:43
Noel Chiappa wrote:
    > From: John Kristoff <jtk(_at_)northwestern(_dot_)edu>

    > No, it's not about complexity, but nor is it about robustness. It's
    > about "functionality" and where to place it.
    > .. a twice careful read of the original paper that gets referred to so
    > much

I can sympathize with your complaint; I got so irked by people
misunderstanding what the end-end principle was (along another axis - state)
that I wrote a rant about it ("Will The Real 'End-End Principle' Please Stand
Up?"), available here:

We have a lot work going on in the IETF today. What common architectural
principles or assumptions should the current work adhere to? Can the IAB
articulate that?

To quote rfc 1601:

       A major role of the IAB is long range planning.  The IAB is
      expected to "pay attention" to important long-term issues in the
      Internet, and to make sure that these issues are brought to the
      attention of the group(s) that are in a position to address them.
      It is also expected to play a role in assuring that the people
      responsible for evolving the Internet and its technology are aware
      of the essential elements of the Internet architecture.