Do you want to have more meetings outside US ?

2007-07-27 06:52:03
Hi,

Yes, you read the subject correctly. The question is if you will like to
have MORE meetings outside US ...

This morning talking with one of the IOAC members he explained me *one* of
the reasons we still have so many meetings in US.

The survey that we have after each IETF meeting include a question related
to this, and MANY MORE US participants are completing this survey, so the
result, is obviously biased.

So, I will suggest that if you want to have more meeting in Europe, Asia,
Latin America, Africa, or wherever else, say so publicly.

The US participation in IETF meetings now is only about 40%, and the number
of non-US participants in the work is also increasing. HOWEVER we fail to
say where we want to have the meetings !

In addition to that, it is clear to me that the number of participants and
countries in US meetings is going low ... I guess is a clear sign. Probably
if things don't change and we have more meetings outside US, we should make
it make more clear and massively stop coming to the meetings in US ? The
IOAC should seriously consider the consequences of this situation as they
already know that the balance of people preferring meetings in US is due to
the fact that much more US participants complete the survey, is not obvious
? And may be we need to CHANGE the actual planning, instead of waiting for
changes in 3-4 years for having more meetings outside US.

************* So please, make sure to fill-in the IETF survey !

In fact, I will like to ask the IAD to make sure that there is a specific
survey for ONLY this question *NOW*, separated from the overall meeting
survey.

Of course, there are other reasons such as lower cost for the meetings and
typically more sponsors able to fund those meetings, which again make me
wonder why we still keep a model tying the sponsorship to a concrete
meetings instead of an overall "IETF meetings" sponsorship and disconnect as
much as possible the sponsorship from the hosting. My view is that hosts are
still needed if possible, and they can provide part of the "local" benefits,
such as looking for lower cost or free connectivity, better deals with
hotels, support from local authorities, etc.

Regards,
Jordi

The IPv6 Portal: http://www.ipv6tf.org

Bye 6Bone. Hi, IPv6 !
http://www.ipv6day.org

confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the
individual(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that
information, including attached files, is prohibited.