Re: DHCP failures (was RE: Do you want to have more meetings outside US ?)

2007-07-31 16:01:22

--On Tuesday, 31 July, 2007 15:40 -0700 Tony Hain
<alh-ietf(_at_)tndh(_dot_)net> wrote:

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
The poor network infrastructure is not only a question of the
links. It is a
question of having a good or bad network, like the problem
that we had all
this week with the DHCP. Having a good link the network was
still unusable
60% of the time.

I had no problem at all because the IPv6 path didn't rely on
the failing DHCP service. ;)

Almost independent of the IPv6 autoconfig issues, I find it
deeply troubling that we seem to be unable to both

        * get the ducks lined up to run IPv6 fully and smoothly,
        with and without local/auto config.

        * get a DHCP arrangement (IPv4 and, for those who want
        to use it, IPv6) that performs reliably, consistently,
        and largely invisibly (if I have to worry about what a
        DHCP server is doing, it isn't working well).

and have both of those working seamlessly no later than Sunday
afternoon of the meeting.

If we can't do that, we should be very seriously reviewing our
protocols and specifications: that sort of thing shouldn't be,
in any sense, an experiment at this stage.

       john