Re: DHCP failures (was RE: Do you want to have more meetings outside US ?)

2007-07-31 18:32:08

--On Wednesday, 01 August, 2007 01:14 +0200 Iljitsch van Beijnum
<iljitsch(_at_)muada(_dot_)com> wrote:

     * get a DHCP arrangement (IPv4 and, for those who want
     to use it, IPv6) that performs reliably, consistently,
     and largely invisibly (if I have to worry about what a
     DHCP server is doing, it isn't working well).

A good start would be explaining what exactly went wrong with
the DHCP server(s) this time. "We have a problem and we're
working on it" is not all that helpful.

While I agree, I also believe that, if that story happens at one
meeting, it is a local problem.  If it happens at two, we either
have a protocol problem (which might be reflected in a problem
with equipment that doesn't quite conform, although I don't have
any reason to believe that is the case) or a provider problem.
If it is a protocol problem, we should know what went wrong and
the DHC WG should have their noses pressed into it.  If it
isn't, we need to not have it again.  Ever.

And, while I'm picking on DHCP because I personally had more
problems with it, I see IPv6 authconfig as being exactly the
same issue: we are telling the world that these things work and
they should be using them; if we can't make them work for our
own meetings...

    john