Re: on the value of "running code" (was Re: Do you want to have more meetings outside US ?)

2007-08-03 11:24:54

Tom.Petch wrote:
Certainly there were early prototypes of OSI modules, and even running
products.
OSI got well beyond the prototype stage.  Major manufacturers produced products
and I was involved with their implementation.

So did minor manufacturers.  We (Wollongong) developed and sold a full OSI
stack, from clnp up through x.400.  That's why I said "running products". At
base, however, such products were purchased more as a checklist item than for
real use.

My point was about the failure to make sure there was large-scale,
multi-vendor, in-the-wild *service*.  Anything that constraint what can go
wrong will limit the ability to make the technology robust and usable.

It is the focus on pragmatic steps that make the technology usable that I
believe Clark was referring to, by saying "running code".

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking