Re: I-D ACTION:draft-wilson-class-e-00.txt

2007-08-09 04:40:57

On Aug 8, 2007, at 4:22 PM, David Conrad wrote:

Hi,

On Aug 8, 2007, at 10:18 AM, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
Which widespread IPv4 stacks?

I think it might be easier to identify stacks that don't disallow 240/4. I don't actually know of any widespread ones.

I had a specific idea for 240 and asked around and didn't find any either. So, this means a year or two to develop and deploy at best, and probably a fork-lift upgrade at that, which does not seem that attractive.

If someone came out with a specific idea backed by hardware, though, is there a reason not to let
them go forward ?

Regards
Marshall

Rather than wall off the space as private and thus put it beyond any use we should think about what other uses we might be putting it to.

Calling address space private obviously does not "put it beyond any use". In fact, there are folks out there who are burning public IP address space for internal infrastructure that could instead be using private space but can't because their internal infrastructures are too large.

Regards,
-drc