Re: I-D ACTION:draft-wilson-class-e-00.txt

2007-08-08 21:36:12
As for the address issue, I have to agree with PHB here as well: If these
addresses are usable in a reasonable time frame then we shouldn't be quick to
give them up for private use and if they are unusable in a reasonable time
frame it really doesn't matter what we do with them. So I guess the question
about stack support in different timeframe is interesting at least in  the sense
that it would tell us whether or not this is even worth the electrons we're
using talking about it.

"useable" is not a constant here.

"useable" in the sense of the context of the public internet implies every host in the public Internet should be able to generate a packet with one of these addresses in the destination field be able to send it out an interface, every host in the public Internet should be able to receive a packet with one of these addresses in the source field, and every router in the public Internet should be able to forward a packet with one of these addresses in the source and/or destination field (and every firewall, NAT and other pieces of middleware).

"useable" in a private context implies taking the above statement and /s/public Internet/private use context/

It should be evident that this distinction could be quite significant in certain private use contexts.