Re: I-D ACTION:draft-wilson-class-e-00.txt

2007-08-20 23:40:10
On Tuesday 21 August 2007 02:47:16 ext Mark Andrews wrote:
Mark Andrews writes:
        Cable companies need this amount of address space for
        controlling the CPE boxes. The customers still get public
        addresses. That's a minimum of two addresses per customer.

One of which can easily be an IPv6 address, so allocating 240/x for this
would seem to cater to those people who can and will modify their
devices to accept 240/4, but cannot or will not give them IPv6 ability.

      That assumes that they won't work with those addresses today.
      My FreeBSD boxes will happily talk to each other using class
      E addresses.  No everything has had a lobotomy.

You mean, the same BSD stack that has a specific check for not routing class E
packets? In all due fairness, I have to admit it does not reject class F+.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont