RE: New models for email (Re: e2e)

2007-08-21 01:38:06
SIP plus an open identity infrastructure plus social networking, perhaps, maybe.

I think that SIP has the addressing part right, it supports an email address
notation for starters, it uses the DNS. But it needs more.

In particular any successor messaging scheme has to have spam reduction, and
nuisance call reduction built into the infrastructure. That means some form of
buddy list concept but on an extended scale. I think that Tim Berners-Lee may
be right that FOAF is the technology of choice here.

To pull it all together I think we need to integrate in the concept of identity
infrastructure so that we can have a single identifier for both inbound and
outbound identity. Outbound identity being what I claim when I authenticate to
post on a blog, inbound identity when someone attempts to send me a contact
message via whatever medium.

I like FOAF because it is a passive approach, I do not need to spend an
inordinate amount of time asking other people to add me to their list and
replying to requests from others. In FOAF links are allowed to be
unidirectional. I can add John Klensin to my FOAF file and he can decide not to
add me to his. Cf 404 not found, scruffy links work and turn out to be better
than bidireactional maybe.

I think we could clean FOAF up a lot with a small amount of support protocol
and linking it to the email address identifier, but the structure seems
basically right. So for example when I add John to my FOAF file it might ping
his FOAF server to let it know and maybe it would send me a ping in return if
John changed his email address of his FOAF location in future.

Maybe once a month or so John looks at the folk who have added him to their
FOAF file and clicks on a few to add them to his FOAF file.

With such a capability most of the use cases for relay mail possibly, maybe
evaporate, perhaps.