RE: New models for email (Re: e2e)

2007-08-20 15:17:43
I have a slightly different take from John here.

My strong belief is that a proposal for a new protocol that does the same thing
as SMTP but slightly better is a total non starter. No matter how much better
the protocol is the cost of transition will dominate.

The only way that I see a new email infrastructure emerging is as a part of a
more general infrastructure to support multi-modal communication, both
synchronous and asynchronous, bilateral and multilateral, Instant Messaging,
email, voice, video, network news all combined in one unified protocol.

-----Original Message-----
From: John C Klensin [mailto:john-ietf(_at_)jck(_dot_)com]
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2007 9:27 AM
To: Douglas Otis; Keith Moore
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: New models for email (Re: e2e)

(changing the subject line since this has clearly drifted off
into a more specialized discussion).

Doug,

I'm not convinced of the merits of the general idea you are
pushing here, mostly because I still believe in the value of
mail systems with relay (or, if you prefer,
store-and-forward) capability.  If one requires that one be
online to receive actual messages, with end-to-end
connectivity to the sender's mail holding store, then sites
with no direct connectivity to the Internet are out of luck
and sides with intermittent connections or very long delay
connections (think about a lot of developing areas on earth
as well as the interplanetary problem) are in bad trouble.

An important side-effect of the current mail model is that,
if the final delivery server is network-close to the intended
recipient, it doesn't make much difference to the recipient
whether mail flows into that server at gigabit bandwidth or
at a few kilobits/second or worse or it things flow only at
0300 local time.  The only connections that are really
network-performance-sensitive are between the sending MUA and
the submission server and between the final delivery MTA or
message store and the mail-retrieving user.  We've used those
properties to very good advantage in the past and, I believe,
will continue to use them to good advantage.

I share Dave Crocker's concern about deployment of
replacements for the current email model (see the article in
the recent issue of Internet Protocol Journal), but maybe it
isn't impossible if the need is significant enough and the
solution doesn't make other things worse (which I think yours
may, but I haven't seen enough of a proposal to evaluate).

One could preserve the relaying by turning message
transmission and delivery into a multiple-stage handshake:
      * Message notifying recipient of availability
      * Message from recipient to store asking for
         transmission of the real message
      * Transmission of the real message
but that would be a fairly complex piece of protocol work,
with attacks possible at each step.

I note that, while one would want to update its non-existent
security mechanisms before trying to use it today, the
capability of sending a message structured as

   [...]

   --foo

   Hey, Doug sent a message
   --foo
   [...]

has existed since the very first MIME specification and has
never been significantly used.  Maybe there is a message
(sic) in that for you; maybe not.

But the main point of this message is that, if you are
serious about this, generate an I-D that specifies all of the
details, analyzes the possible attacks and how you will repel
them, and so on.  IMO, you have passed the point at which
talking about
what you might propose is helpful.   If the ideas have any
utility or applicability (even if that applicability isn't as
general as you believe), we need a real proposal not more
IETF-list traffic.

Just my opinion.

   john

--On Thursday, 16 August, 2007 23:45 -0700 Douglas Otis