Re: I-D ACTION:draft-wilson-class-e-00.txt

2007-08-09 17:45:03

Douglas Otis writes:
The draft classifies Class-E as "Limited Use for Large Private  Internets".

What large private internets are these, really? Are we discussing Google
potentially needing more than one /8 for its web servers, or are we
discussing providers (DSL, Wimax, 802.11, GSM, 3G or other) giving
customers addresses from 240/4 via DHCP or PPP?

Employees using 240/4 is one thing. Your mother-in-law getting
247.1.76.22 from her cable modem is quite another.

Arnt

        Cable companies need this amount of address space for
        controlling the CPE boxes.  The customers still get public
        addresses.  That's a minimum of two addresses per customer.

        Large corporations need more than a /8.

        Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews(_at_)isc(_dot_)org