RE: I-D ACTION:draft-wilson-class-e-00.txt

2007-08-08 11:39:22
If this really would buy us even a single year then we have to do it. Two years
is the difference between a train wreck and an orderly transition.

The question is whether we can buy any time with this change. That does not
look very hopeful. But there might be opportunity.

I certainly don't think that we should conclude on the basis of two data points
that we should just abandon the whole address space.

The point about requiring a transition plan to IPv6 might be a good one. I
don't imagine that it would be very effecitve in coercing change but it could
be effective in causing the hardware providers to converge on support for a
viable transition strategy.

This is politics, we need much more than an engineering strategy dictated from
on high by a group with no members and no constituency.

We need to get some real economists involved here and some real lawyers. We do
have some net-savy lawyers on tap, but economists are going to be harder to
find, or rather they are going to be easy to find but not so easy to find good
ones who are not peddling some ideology.

Perhaps the folk at the LSE who designed the auction of wireless spectrum for
George Brown could help?

What I want to know is how we establish the incentives that are necessary to
create the intended outcome.