Re: I-D ACTION:draft-wilson-class-e-00.txt

2007-08-09 09:50:42

On Aug 9, 2007, at 12:37 PM, todd glassey wrote:

Its not all wrong - only the Multicast Address space is mislabeled...

ACK, but that is what I was referring too...

Marshall

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marshall Eubanks" <tme(_at_)multicasttech(_dot_)com>
To: "Douglas Otis" <dotis(_at_)mail-abuse(_dot_)org>
Cc: "Harald Alvestrand" <harald(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no>; "IETF discussion list" <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2007 10:52 AM
Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-wilson-class-e-00.txt

On Aug 8, 2007, at 1:35 PM, Douglas Otis wrote:

On Aug 8, 2007, at 3:02 AM, Harald Alvestrand wrote:

What happened to draft-hain-1918bis-01, which tried to get more address space for private Internets, but expired back in 2005?

I see the point about regarding 240.0.0.0/4 as "tainted space" and therefore being less than useful on the public Internet.....

RFC 3330 listed as not currently part of the public Internet:

0.0.0.0/8 "this" 16,777,216
10.0.0.0/8 "private" 16,777,216
127.0.0.0/8 "loopback" 16,777,216
169.254.0.0/16 "link-local"      65,536
172.16.0.0/12 "private"   1,048,576
192.0.2.0/24 "test-net"         256
192.168.0.0/16 "private"      65,536
192.18.0.0/15 "benchmark"     131,072
224.0.0.0/4 "multicast" 268,435,456

This is simply wrong. Multicast is certainly part of the public Internet, it is certainly used on the public Internet and (I might point out) people (including yours truly) make money from it.

Regards
Marshall Eubanks

240.0.0.0/4 "reserved" 268,435,466
587,569,816 (13.68% of total non- public)
                             4,294,967,296 (total)
                             3,707,397,480 (addresses public)

Some larger providers and private organizations who depend upon private IPv4 addresses have complained there is no suitably large "private" IP address range which can assure each user within their network can obtain a unique private IP address. It would seem class E could, and might already, function as a larger "private" IP address range.

-Doug